Attorney Services in Amarillo

Amarillo's Attorney "Chip" Parker of Parker Law Firm

Attorney Services in Amarillo | Chip Parker Law Firm

Car Wrecks

According to the Texas Tribune in April, 2019, at least one person has died on Texas roads every day since November 7, 2000. More than 3,700 died in 2017. Most all car wrecks are caused by negligent or distracted drivers. They think they can beat that red light. They ride your bumper and follow too closely. They don’t pay attention when entering an intersection. I’ve seen it all. There’s no such thing as a car accident. When two vehicles hit each other, at least one person was doing something wrong. A rising cause of car wrecks in Amarillo is distracted drivers. How many times have you seen someone driving down the road, but looking down at their phone? People are hurt and sometimes killed by this needless distraction. Please put your phones down and tell your kids to do the same. 

Child Custody and Visitation

When children are involved this is almost always the number one concern. It is helpful to understand how the State of Texas approaches child custody from a legal standpoint.

Custody or Conservatorship

Most everyone uses the word "custody" when talking about who has the children. Legally we use the term "conservatorship." Conservatorship is a legal term that sets out the legal responsibilities and obligations of each parent. There are two types on conservatorship. There is managing conservator and possessory conservator. A managing conservator has more legal responsibilities and obligations than a possessory conservator. The legal rights and responsibilities include:

Child Support

Except in extremely rare cases, one parent will be ordered to provide financial support for the child and we call that child support. The obligation to pay child support remains until the child turns 18 or graduates from high school - whichever is later. As most children turn 18 during their senior year, child support continues until graduation. There are some circumstances where child support can remain in place after that time frame. This is usually in circumstances where the child has special medical needs or disabilities. 

Divorce Attorney

Recent studies tell us that nearly half of all marriages end in divorce. It’s just the reality we live in. If you’re reading this then maybe you are thinking about getting a divorce. I want to first say that you should try every  reasonable effort to stay married if it is a loving and healthy relationship. Once you’ve made the decision to get a divorce there are many things you will need to consider. Some of these will apply to every case. It just depends on your circumstances. The main considerations in a divorce case are child custody and visitation, child support, division of property and the division of debts. 

Child Support Enforcement

This is usually pretty clear cut. The other parent is paying the court ordered support or they are not. The only real defense is that the person required to pay child support did not have the financial ability to pay it. If someone lost their job and is now making half as much, the Judge probably will not throw the parent in jail for not making a full child support payment. It is the burden of the Obligor (person required to pay) to prove they did not have the financial ability to pay the support. Judge’s can be hard on the non- paying parent if the Judge is not satisfied of the steps the parent has taken to get a new job or better employment. A Judge can order the back support to be paid with interest, award your attorney fees, fine and even put the non-paying parent in jail. The court can also suspend a driver's license or other professional license.


After a divorce or after a child custody case, there are certain things that can later be changed. This is called a Modification. When children are involved, the court maintains jurisdiction to modify pretty much any order regarding the children. This includes orders for visitation, custody and child support. Modify Custody or Visitation. Remember, when it comes to custody or visitation the parents can do whatever they want as long as they both agree. When there is no agreement you must follow the court orders. Sometimes the  previous court orders are no longer workable or there has been a substantial change in circumstances and one party wants to change part of the previous court order. This is very broad and is truly a case by case basis. 

Personal Injury

Bad things happen to good people. In almost 20 years, Attorney Chip Parker has handled thousands of personal injury cases and has taken many personal injury cases to trial. I have been in several car wrecks myself. Sometimes I wonder if there is a bull’s eye on my car. I may not know exactly how you feel, but I do know what it is like to be hit by a negligent driver, spend the evening in a hospital to be poked and undergo x-rays, and CT scans. I know what it is like to suffer a long term back injury. It’s frustrating and aggravating. I get it. Call me today and I can let you know of you have a case and how I can help you.


Texas is a community property state. All property is defined as being either community or separate.  All property and debt is presumed to be community property in a divorce case. Community property and debt is divided by the court. Separate property remains the separate property to that person. You have to prove that certain property and debts are separate debts. In a divorce the community property is to be divided by the court in a manner that is "just and right." This doesn’t necessarily mean 50/50, but it usually does.  

Temporary Order

Temporary orders are what a court puts in place while the divorce is going on. When someone files for divorce, usually someone move out of the home if they haven’t already. Who has to move? What do they get to take? Where do the children go? Who pays for all the credit cards and auto insurance? These are all questions that need an immediate, but temporary solution. This is why most divorces need temporary orders.

DISCLAIMER:  The information you obtain on this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney regarding your individual situation. I invite you to contact me via phone or email. Contacting me or viewing this website does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to me until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.